a neat perspective trick that you should know
say you drew a box and you want this box to become, I don’t know, a building:
and you want to divide the sides of the box in half, so you can know where to put the windows and doors and whatever! if you eyeball it, you’re probably going to miss the halfway point, and it will look stupid:
that is incorrect. if you want to bisect a side of a box in perspective, try doing this instead:
1. draw x’s connecting the corners of each side of the box
2.draw a line through the exact center of the x’s, running parallel to the edges of that side
3. that’s it. now you have perfectly bisected sides, so you know where to draw your doors or anything else that this box might have on it.
but that’s not all!
you can do the exact same thing to the new faces you created, if you want to divide the sides up further.
you can draw so many doors or windows or anything! I don’t care what you draw, it’s your box.
this is one of the best time-saving tips I’ve ever come across. do you need an entire perspective grid? the x method has you covered!
let’s make a simple one-point perspective grid:
draw a square, figure out where the center of vision will be (hint: for one point perspective, it’s always smack dab in the center of the side facing you).
draw a bigger square around that square.
connect the corners of these two squares, so it looks like an open box.
USE THAT X-METHOD
DRAW LINES THROUGH THE CENTER OF THE X’S TO GET YOUR VERTICAL AND HORIZONTAL GUIDES
NOW DRAW YOUR DIAGONAL GUIDES (the corresponding sides of your two squares must be divided equally, into an equal number of segments. connect these segments to get your diagonal guides).
baby you got a stew going!
the x-method might not be 100% correct in every case, but it’s great for just getting stuff done and making it look right. I made that entire one-point grid in under ten minutes. now if I want to draw a room, I have easy-to-follow guidelines and they only took a little bit of time to make.
the x-method comes from Perspective! for Comic Book Artists, which you should read because it is amazing. read the shit out of it.
okay this got too many notes and I got the notification for every single one of those notes so everyone who liked/reblogged this better use it forever and often or I will be so pissed
- missshizko likes this
- hannahsaur-ink reblogged this from heysawbones
- dreamingmachine likes this
- starsandskyscrapers reblogged this from youngartist-city
- shit-i-may-never-use reblogged this from thecandyjar
- morbidsenseofmeriment reblogged this from bokkasdomain
- trickstercalliope reblogged this from halleybutt
- katshi likes this
- pumpkinparty reblogged this from deudlyfirearm
- pumpkinparty likes this
- kankrievantas likes this
- allthenamesilikearetaken likes this
- deudlyfirearm reblogged this from heysawbones
- cocoa-kitchy likes this
- creepy-mind reblogged this from diamondsforeyes
- walkingwitha-ghost likes this
- morbidsenseofmeriment likes this
- allie-pops likes this
- dirlife likes this
- catsmagiccastle likes this
- diamondsforeyes reblogged this from bokkasdomain
- diamondsforeyes likes this
- bokkasdomain reblogged this from heysawbones
- justsomeartthings reblogged this from shinjis9
- madmonsterparty likes this
- megancreations reblogged this from nekofluffybutt
- megancreations likes this
- detill likes this
- kitsunebunny likes this
- artofcstuckless likes this
- luigiman likes this
- nekofluffybutt reblogged this from paiganism
- hyperbolic-time-chamber reblogged this from paiganism
- ihateyourfriends likes this
- paiganism reblogged this from heysawbones
- the-silence-glaive-alchemist likes this
- sentencedtoship reblogged this from artkink
- sentencedtoship likes this
- clarrizombie reblogged this from artkink
- silentsilverwind reblogged this from blimpcat
- aversivesdhpn likes this
- benevolentcannibal likes this
- gum-drop-art likes this
- hadleyfrastache reblogged this from iamthespacecadet
- cojoyo likes this
- getto-daze likes this
- nephyria reblogged this from mukurohikusaba
- bookmarksofart reblogged this from marimoprince
- qeppy reblogged this from blimpcat